Just like dogs, cats also require daily or regular health checks for cat health problems such as signs of pain or illness and to keep your feline friend healthy. Felines are animals of habit; thus, even a smallest change from their usual routine and/or behavior may be a cause for concern. The signs that indicate something wrong include, changes in drinking habits, grooming, appetite, litter box routine, & even the sound of your furry friend’s voice. So perform regular cat health checks and while doing this consider the following tips:
Run your fingers, just like petting, on your cat’s entire body starting from the head to toes & tail and check for any bumps, any signs of pain (if the cat displays uncomfortableness if touched on a particular body part, it’s a sign of pain), and/or lumps.
Mouth—Teeth & Gums
- Your cat’s teeth should be clean & white without any signs of lesions
- Its gums should be pink & healthy looking without redness, swelling or bleeding. Check for the signs of plaque & tartar around its gum line
- Also, check around its mouth, tongue, & lips for lumps, ulcers, bumps, or swellings
- Check ears thoroughly, as their ears’ soft & moist environment is like a heaven for ear mites, fleas, & ticks
- Also, check for any signs of debris, bleeding, wax, or dirt.
- If you find the ears bleeding or any reddish brown discharge in your cat’s ears, or coffee-grounds like objects in its ears, it is probably the signs of ear mites.
- However, a little amount of wax in the ears is normal but the ears shouldn’t have any foul odor
Your cat’s eyes should be clear & bright without any swelling, redness, discharge, and/or weeping.
- Your cat’s nose should not have any discharge
- Also, check for any bumps, lumps, swellings as well as ulcers
Skin & Coat
- Your cat’s skin & coat should be shiny & healthy looking
- Check the fur carefully for ticks or fleas on cat. If you find any, remove it carefully & gently
- If you are suspicious of your feline friend for fleas & ticks, immediately treat it with good quality flea control medications such as, generic of Frontline for Cats to effectively eradicate or control the infestation as these parasites can cause various cat flea diseases
- Also, gently pull up & release its skin at the shoulders; it must spring back instantly. If it does not, the cat is dehydrated
So, if your cat displays any changes in its routine or behavior such as decreased or increased thirst, hunger, or changes in litter box habits and so on, it’s time to seek medical attention to cure those signs & symptoms.